This program is great for CAD and BIM – that stands for Computer-Aided Design and Building Information Modeling. These applications allow you to design, model, and even 3D print parts of your architectural or structural project. This can all be done remotely, making Autodesk Revit a must-have tool for any architecture, engineering, and construction team. But what are the best laptops for Autodesk Revit?
First, we’ll take a quick peek at what the requirements are for running Revit software. This includes everything from CPU power to available RAM. In short, there’s no perfect laptop for architecture design unless you go all out on the device specs. This guide will focus on a mix of recommended hardware with slight compromise based on your budget. Then we’ll talk about which specific models are great value buys – all of them relatively affordable by hardware enthusiast standards. If you have time left over, feel free to drop your question in the comments below!
- Autodesk Revit is a must-have tool for any architecture, engineering, and construction team
- best laptops for Autodesk Revit are those with enough CPU power, RAM, and hard drive space for storing large 3D models and data files
- high end gaming laptops are NOT the best laptops for Autodesk Revit – they are too expensive and offer little additional performance (though gaming laptops are still a great choice if you need something portable)
Requirements for a Autodesk Revit 2022 laptop
Major Choosing the right graphics card for Autodesk Revit 2022
Minimum (under $1000)
A GTX 1650 can be OK for assemblies and basic 3D modeling. I’m not recommending a cheap laptop for Revit, but it’s an option for a very tight budget.
Recommended consumer graphics ($1000 – $2000)
The recommended GPU is the RTX 2060. It has 4GB of video memory and will offer a decent experience with most things, including high-end 3D modeling in Revit. For people who can’t afford $2000+, go for a gaming laptop that has at least a GTX 1650 – as long as it has 4GB of video memory.
Recommended professional graphics ($2000+)
For professionals who need a top-of-the-line laptop for Revit, I recommend going with the RTX 3080 or RTX 3070. These are more expensive cards with more video memory and higher performance.
- under $1000, GTX 1650 will be OK for assemblies and basic 3D modeling in Revit
- if you can’t afford $2000+, go for a gaming laptop that has at least a GTX 1650, as long as it has 4GB of video memory
- for professionals who need a top-of-the-line laptop for Revit, I recommend going with the RTX 3080 or RTX 3070
Major Memory for Autodesk Revit 2022
The minimum amount of RAM that is required for Autodesk Revit 2022 is 8 GB. This will allow you to run the program and perform basic operations, but not much else. If you are a hobbyist, this might be enough for you.
For Autodesk Revit 2022, 16 GB of RAM is the recommended amount. This will allow you to run the program and perform basic operations while also allowing room for a few other programs in the background without slowing down the application too much.
If you are a professional who uses Autodesk Revit 2022 often, then it is recommended that you get at least 32 GB of RAM. This will give you more room for programs in the background without slowing down your workflow too much.
- 8 GB is the minimum amount of RAM for Autodesk Revit 2022, but 16 GB is recommended
- 32 GB is the best amount of RAM for Autodesk Revit 2022 if you are a professional and use it often
Major The right processor
For any Autodesk Revit 2022 laptop, the processor is a critical component that dictates the overall performance.
It’s a good idea to take a look at how Revit 2022 works. You’ll find that the software products will use multiple cores for many tasks. One of the best ways to optimize Revit 2022 performance is to make sure you have enough cores. For example, when rendering an object with complex materials, a core is assigned to each material so it can calculate light interactions in each. That’s not always possible if there are too few cores and they need to be split between multiple objects and materials.
It is my pleasure to offer you three recommendations for an Autodesk Revit 2022 laptop:
- Ryzen 5 3500U – if you need the cheapest option
- i5-10300H – if you want a balanced CPU with single-core performance and multi-threaded workhorse capability
- i9-11950H – if you’re looking for maximum performance
- Autodesk Revit 2022 requires at least 4 cores
- Ryzen 5 3500U and i5-10300H are best for price/performance balance
- i9-11950H is best for performance
Optional requirements for a Autodesk Revit 2022 laptop
Optional Storage that will work optimally with Autodesk Revit 2022
The right storage capacity
As with all software, Autodesk Revit 2022 doesn’t require a lot of storage space. And for those with smaller collections of drawings, you can get away with 128 GB. But for anyone who has a few hundred thousand or more CAD drawings, the benefits of having a 256 GB SSD or higher become apparent.
Average laptop prices by SSD size
256 GB SSD laptops cost $850 on average, 512 GB drives cost $1400, and 1 TB laptops are priced at $2200. As for 2 TB laptops, they typically cost $3310 – which is pricey. That said, if you’re willing to pay for it and you have the disk space to spare – this may be your best bet if you work with very large projects in Revit.
- 128 GB is fine for small CAD collections
- 256 GB SSD is great for large collections and quick startups
- 512 GB SSD will suffice for most professionals
- 1 TB SSD is the best option if you want a bit of wiggle room and don’t mind spending more money
- for small CAD collections, 128 GB is enough
- for large collections and quick startups, 256 GB is better
- 512 GB is sufficient for most professionals
- 1 TB is the best option if you want a bit of wiggle room and don’t mind spending more money
10 Best Laptops for Autodesk Revit 2022
Pros and cons
- Great graphics card (GTX 1660 Ti)
- Very good memory amount (16GB)
- Bulky (4.8 lbs)
- Superb processor (Ryzen 5 5600H)
- Splendid display (15.6 120Hz IPS)
- Unremarkable graphics card (GTX 1650)
Pros and cons
- Terrific memory amount (64GB)
- Hefty 1TB SSD
- Average processor (Ryzen 5 5600H)
- Mediocre graphics card (RTX 3050)
- Competent memory amount (32GB)
- Sizable 1TB SSD
- Ordinary processor (Ryzen 5 5600H)
Pros and cons
- Very good processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX)
- Excellent graphics card (Radeon RX 6800M)
- Awesome processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX)
- Exceptional memory amount (64GB)
- So-so graphics card (RTX 3050 Ti)
Pros and cons
- First-class processor (Ryzen 9 5900HS)
- Exceptional graphics card (RTX 3080)
- Underwhelming memory amount (16GB)
- Awesome graphics card (RTX 3080)
- Decent display (15.6 300Hz IPS-level G-Sync)
- So-so processor (Ryzen 7 5800H)
Pros and cons
- Superb processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX)
- Sufficient display (17.3 144Hz IPS G-Sync)
- Not the best graphics card (RTX 3050 Ti)
Pros and cons
- Splendid processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX)
- Solid graphics card (RTX 3080)
- Awesome display (16 IPS HDR)
- Awesome memory amount (64GB)
- Unexceptional processor (i9-11950H)
Table of Best Laptops for Autodesk Revit 2022
|HP Pavilion 16 PC||$740|
|GIGABYTE G5 GD||$750|
|Dell G5 5515||$1050|
|Acer Nitro 5 AN517-54-79L1||$1170|
|ASUS ROG Strix G15||$1870|
|ASUS ROG Strix||$1900|
|ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15||$2350|
|ASUS ROG Strix||$2380|
|ASUS ROG Strix Scar||$3030|
|Eluktronics Prometheus XVII||$3600|