Inventor is a computer-aided design (CAD) software that Autodesk makes. As far as CAD packages go, it's pretty popular and quite hard to learn. While the software may be hard to get used to, your job is made much easier if you have a powerful laptop for Autodesk Inventor 2023. Here's everything you need to know about picking the best laptop for Inventor 2023.
In this guide, I'll help you save time on Inventor by outlining the best laptops for Autodesk Inventor. While every computer has its foibles, many laptops deal with specific CAD packages and tasks better than others. Therefore, you must consider both computing and rendering capabilities before making a decision about your laptop.
5 Best Laptops for Autodesk Inventor 2023
- Strong entry-level gaming performance
- Solid productivity performance
- Inexpensive for a gaming laptop
- Display and webcam could be better
- Too much pre-installed software
- Single-channel RAM configuration
The HP Victus 15 provides good gaming performance at an affordable price, but sacrifices are made in areas like display quality, pre-installed software, and RAM configuration.
- Low price
- Solid gaming performance
- Weak GPU yields unsatisfactory frame rates
- Average display quality despite 144Hz refresh rate
- Lightweight and well built
- Good inputs and IO
- Good FHD 300Hz and QHD screen options
- Significantly more powerful than previous generation
- Quirks affecting everyday ergonomics
- Ports squeezed together on the left edge
- Avoid the FHD 144Hz panel option
The ASUS TUF Dash F15 is a well-built and lightweight laptop that offers good performance at an affordable price. It has a range of screen options and is significantly more powerful than its previous generation. However, some quirks affect everyday ergonomics, and the FHD 144Hz panel option should be avoided.
- Superb 1080p gaming
- Strong productivity capabilities
- Poor webcam, touchpad, and speakers
- Some games appear washed out on display
- High-performance CPU and GPU
- Solid construction and good workmanship
- Impressive display
- Sleek and sophisticated design
- Skimpy connectivity options
- Potential for coil whine in certain situations
The ASUS ROG Strix G15 is a gaming laptop packed with an RTX 3070 GPU and a Ryzen 5000 CPU, delivering exceptional performance for gaming and work tasks. Its sleek design, solid construction, user-friendly maintenance, and good input devices make it a top choice. However, it lacks connectivity options and may experience coil whine in certain situations.
- Plenty of CPU and GPU power
- New 120Hz screen refresh rate
- Merely adequate base screen
- Optional OLED has fewer pixels than before
- Strong overall performance
- Display is big, bright, and fast
- Per-key RGB lighting
- Some flex to keyboard deck
- Poor battery life
The Lenovo Legion Pro 7i 16 is a mid-priced laptop that packs a punch with its 13th-gen Core i9 CPU and RTX 4090 graphics, making it a strong performer for Autodesk Inventor 2023. With a big, bright, and fast display and per-key RGB lighting, this laptop offers an immersive and visually stunning experience. However, it does have some flex to the keyboard deck and suffers from poor battery life.
- QHD display with 165 Hz
- Expandable working memory
- Slightly below-average performance for a RTX 4080
- High noise level
- Excellent 4K display with AdobeRGB
- High-quality case
- Thunderbolt 4 PCIe 4.0
- Very high system performance
- Lower graphics performance than the predecessor
- Performance not completely stable under combined load
- Not Wi-Fi 6E compatible
- 720p webcam
The Dell XPS 17 9720 impresses with its excellent 4K display with AdobeRGB and high-quality case. It offers Thunderbolt 4 and PCIe 4.0, along with very high system performance. However, it falls short in terms of graphics performance compared to its predecessor and the cooling could be improved.
- Impressively thin and elegant design considering dual displays and powerful performance
- Refined two-screen layout
- Eye-watering cost, especially as configured
- Awkward keyboard and touchpad layout
When it comes to deciding on the right laptop processor for Autodesk Inventor 2023, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Firstly, Inventor is only available on Windows, so you'll need to make sure you're looking at Windows laptops. Secondly, due to the thermal limitations of laptops, it can be more challenging to find a high-end processor for Inventor. And finally, while single-core performance is still important, it's no longer the main bottleneck in most 3D applications. Instead, you should look at multi-core benchmarks like Cinebench R23 or PassMark for an idea of how well the processor will perform in Autodesk Inventor.
With that said, here are our recommendations for the minimum and recommended processor speeds for Autodesk Inventor 2023:
- Minimum: 2.5 GHz or greater
- Recommended: 3.0 GHz or greater, 4 or more cores
If you're looking for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card for Autodesk Inventor 2023, you'll need to decide between Nvidia and AMD GPUs. Both are great options, but I'd personally lean towards Nvidia.
The best way to compare graphics cards is by checking their benchmarks, but these can be difficult to find. In this case, we can use 3DMark scores instead.
Here are some recommended GPUs for Autodesk Inventor 2023:
- Minimum: 1 GB GPU with 29 GB/S Bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliant
- Recommended: 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/S Bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliant
When it comes to deciding on the right laptop for Autodesk Inventor 2023, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Firstly, Inventor is a memory-intensive application, so you'll need a lot of RAM. If you're working with complex assemblies, you'll need at least 32 GB, but 64 GB would be even better. Secondly, like most other applications, Inventor will benefit from having more memory than what's required to run the application.
When it comes to choosing between DDR4 and DDR5 RAM, there's no debate here. DDR5 is significantly faster than its predecessor and should be the default option for any laptop. However, it's worth noting that DDR5 is still an expensive option and it might be worth waiting a few more years for the price to come down before making the switch.
Finally, it's important to keep in mind that RAM is not the only thing that matters when it comes to choosing a laptop for Inventor. Other specs such as CPU frequency and latency are also important factors to consider. With that said, here's a list of recommended RAM configurations depending on your budget:
Minimum RAM: 16 GB
Recommended RAM: 32 GB
High-end RAM: 64 GB
Q: Which laptop is best for Autodesk Inventor 2023?
The best laptop for Autodesk Inventor 2023 depends on your specific needs and budget. However, we have some recommendations based on the requirements and recommendations provided:
- For a minimum requirement setup, the HP Victus 15 priced at $710 should be able to handle Autodesk Inventor 2023, but you may experience some limitations in performance and graphics capabilities.
- If you're looking for a medium requirement setup, the HP Victus 15 priced at $880 or the ASUS ROG Strix G15 G513RM priced at $1,700 should provide a smoother experience with better graphics capabilities.
- For a high-end setup, the Lenovo Legion Pro 7i 16 priced at $3,390 or the Dell XPS 17 9720 priced at $5,600 will offer excellent performance and handle Autodesk Inventor 2023 with ease.
What are the system requirements for Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop?
The system requirements for Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop are as follows:
- Graphics: A minimum requirement of a 1 GB GPU with 29 GB/s bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliance. For a medium requirement setup, a 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/s bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliance is recommended.
- Processor: A minimum requirement of a 2.5 GHz or greater processor. For a medium requirement setup, a 3.0 GHz or greater processor with 4 or more cores is recommended.
- Memory: A minimum requirement of 16 GB of RAM. For a medium requirement setup, 32 GB of RAM is recommended. The maximum requirement is not specified.
Can Autodesk Inventor 2023 be run on a laptop?
Yes, Autodesk Inventor 2023 can be run on a laptop. However, it is important to ensure that your laptop meets the minimum system requirements to ensure a smooth experience. Depending on the complexity of your designs and projects, you may also want to consider a laptop with higher specifications to improve performance.
How much RAM is needed for Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop?
The minimum requirement for RAM when running Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop is 16 GB. However, for a better experience and to handle more complex projects, it is recommended to have 32 GB of RAM.
What are the recommended laptop specs for Autodesk Inventor 2023?
The recommended laptop specs for Autodesk Inventor 2023 include a 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/s bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliance, a processor with a clock speed of 3.0 GHz or greater and 4 or more cores, and 32 GB of RAM. These specifications will provide a smoother experience and allow you to handle more complex designs.
Is a dedicated graphics card necessary for Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop?
Yes, a dedicated graphics card is necessary for Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop. The software requires a minimum of a 1 GB GPU with 29 GB/s bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliance. To ensure better performance, it is recommended to have a 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/s bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliance.
What laptops are compatible with Autodesk Inventor 2023?
There are several laptops compatible with Autodesk Inventor 2023. Some recommended options based on the requirements and recommendations provided include the HP Victus 15, ASUS ROG Strix G15 G513RM, Lenovo Legion Pro 7i 16, and Dell XPS 17 9720. These laptops meet the necessary system requirements and provide varying levels of performance.
Is an Intel Core i5 processor sufficient for Autodesk Inventor 2023 on a laptop?
While an Intel Core i5 processor may meet the minimum system requirements for Autodesk Inventor 2023, it is recommended to have a processor with a clock speed of 3.0 GHz or greater and 4 or more cores for a smoother experience. The complexity of your designs and projects will also impact the performance, so a higher-end processor may be beneficial.
How to choose a laptop for Autodesk Inventor 2023?
When choosing a laptop for Autodesk Inventor 2023, consider the following factors:
System Requirements: Ensure that the laptop meets the minimum system requirements, including graphics, processor, and memory specifications.
Performance: Consider the complexity of your designs and projects. A laptop with higher specifications, such as a faster processor, more RAM, and a dedicated graphics card, will provide a smoother experience.
Budget: Determine your budget and select a laptop within your price range
Table of the Best Laptops for Autodesk Inventor 2023
|HP Victus 15||$710|
|ASUS TUF Dash F15||$1,160|
|ASUS ROG Strix G15||$1,750|
|Lenovo Legion Pro 7i 16||$3,390|
|Dell XPS 17 9720||$5,600|