Autodesk 3ds Max, formerly 3D Studio and 3D Studio Max, is a professional 3D computer graphics program for making 3D animations, models, games and images.
With this guide, I hope to help those of you who will purchase a laptop for 3ds Max 2022. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert user, this post should give you the information you need to find the best laptop for Autodesk 3ds Max. The laptop requirements in this post are tailored to users who are proficient with the program, but have not necessarily used it before. Users with less experience might have different needs and can contact me directly in coments section.
I hope this guide will help you find the best laptop for Autodesk 3ds Max. Let’s get started!
whether you’re a beginner or an expert user, this post should give you the information you need to find the best laptop for Autodesk 3ds Max
Requirements for a Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022 laptop
Major Choosing the right memory for Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022
Minimum (8 GB)
For a minimum of 8 GB, I recommend Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022 for those who are in the lower-middle range of the professional world. If you’re looking for something to do simple rendering and design work, it’ll do just fine.
Recommended (16 GB)
I recommend that you purchase a laptop with 16 GB RAM if you’re looking for a perfect balance between cost and performance. You can always make up for an expensive laptop with extra components.
Best (32 GB)
On the other hand, if you’re a serious professional who needs the best possible performance, I recommend a 32 GB laptop. If you’re going over $2000, this is the norm these days.
- any laptop will do if you’re in the lower-middle range of the professional world
- 16 GB is enough if you’re looking for something to do simple rendering and design work
- 32 GB is enough if you’re a serious professional who needs the best possible performance
Major Choosing a processor
Since 3DS MAX has become so reliant on the CPU, you need to pick the best one you can afford. If you’re running a production with dozens of simulated objects, every other component is scaled down to balance it out. A slower CPU means longer render times and less frames per second. But if you’re just working on a small-scale project with less than ten objects, then you should be fine with anything from an Intel Core i5-11300H up to an Intel Core i9-11900H.
There are two things I want to mention about the processors for Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022: Single-core performance and Multi-core performance. If you only care about how fast it will render your frame, then go for single-core performance like an Intel Core i7-11850H or higher. If you want it to render frames faster AND do other tasks at the same time – then go for a processor with more cores like an Intel Core i9-11900H or higher.
My recommended processor: Intel Core i9-11900H (if money is no object
- when it comes to Autodesk 3DS MAX, get a high single-core performance or high multi-core performance processor
- if you only care about rendering, get an Intel Core i7/Ryzen 7 or higher processor
- if you want it to render frames faster AND do other tasks at the same time, get an Intel Core i9/Ryzen 9 or higher processor
Major Deciding on a graphics card
That being said, a consumer card might be more sufficient and will let you play games on the side. You can get a laptop with an entry-level GPU (let’s say GTX 1660 Ti) for around $1000 or go for a laptop with middle-range GPU (something like RTX 3060) for around $1500. If you’re working on bigger projects and need more powerfull graphics processor – there is RTX 3070 or RTX 3080. Prices of laptops containing these cards will noramally start at around $2000. A consumer card might be sufficient if you’re playing new games on the side, but then again, you can just buy a dedicated gaming laptop instead of compromising on your design performance.
As I mentioned before, some rendering engines use or can be set to use GPU. The most popular one is called Arnold. It can utilize either CPU or GPU, but it will get the job done much faster when set to use the power of GPU. Another great example is Nvidia’s Iray, but as you can say from the manufacturer – only Nvidia GPUs are supported.
So what’s the best option?
- If you’re not playing games – get an entry-level professional card ($1000).
- If you’re doing this full-time or part-time and can afford it – go for a high-end professional card ($3000+).
- Otherwise – buy the mid-range professional card ($2000+) and invest more in other important components such as CPU.
- If you’re not playing games, get an entry-level professional card.
- If you’re doing this full-time or part-time and can afford it, go for a high-end professional card.
- Otherwise, buy the mid-range professional card and invest more in other important components such as CPU.
Optional requirements for a Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022 laptop
Optional Storage for Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022
Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022 storage requirements
The laptop for Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022 is much more intensive than the laptops mentioned in the other sections. We’re talking about a heavy load of data and plenty of it. So you need to consider your needs, both now and for the future.
If you’re a beginner and working on a few small projects – that’s not going to be a problem. If you’re using 3DS MAX for your own personal project, even 256 GB should be enough for you. That being said, I recommend going with 512 GB just to have room to grow (and to not have to worry about it later).
If you’re already at the level where you know that your workflow will be demanding and need something that can hold up – 1 TB SSD is the sweetplace. There are plenty of these out there – so finding one shouldn’t be an issue.
- heavy load of data and plenty of it
- 1 TB SSD is the sweetplace for heavy loads of data and plenty of it
0 Best Laptops for Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022
Take a look at our other reviews:
- Best laptops for Autodesk Revit 2021
- Best Laptops for Autodesk Fusion 360
- Best Laptops for DaVinci Resolve 17
Table of Best Laptops for Autodesk 3DS MAX 2022