Hogwarts Legacy is an immersive, open-world action RPG set in the world first introduced in the Harry Potter books. Embark on a journey through familiar and new locations as you explore and discover fantastic beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents and become the wizard you want to be.
Hogwarts Legacy is fairly demanding on your hardware, but not so much that it would necessarily push the graphics card requirements of the latest RPG games. What does that mean? Is it really necessary to buy an expensive gaming laptop for Hogwarts Legacy? Are there affordable options? These are all good questions, so I did some research and came up with some solid recommendations that should help gamers like you make an informed decision on what will work best for your budget.
Requirements for a Hogwarts Legacy laptop
Major The best graphics card for Hogwarts Legacy in 2022
It’s tough to predict the performance of Hogwarts Legacy before it’s release. That said, it is unlikely that an integrated graphics chip will be sufficient for playing this game. So it’s important to know what GPU can handle it at the moment. My recommendations are organized in 3 tiers – bare minimum, recommend, and best.
The bare minimum tier consists of AMD Radeon RX 5600M and GTX 1650 which provide playable framerates on low settings on Full HD. If you’re interested in running Hogwarts Legacy on higher settings, then I recommend RTX 2070 or better GPUs with their commensurate price tags.
Bare minimum ($1000)
If you want to play Hogwarts Legacy with any hope of staying above 30 FPS, then I would recommend Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 or AMD Radeon RX 5600M. These GPUs provide playable framerates on low settings at Full HD resolution. If you’re interested in running Hogwarts Legacy on higher settings, then I recommend a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 or better GPU with its commensurate price tag.
Recommended ($1000 – $2500)
If you have a budget around $1000-$2500 and you want to play Hogwarts Legacy smoothly, then I would recommend a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 or better GPU with its commensurate price tag.
- without actual benchmark data, it’s hard to predict how this game will perform on different GPUs
- but based on requirements and other games’ benchmarks, I’d recommend GTX 1650 or RX 5600M for low settings at Full HD resolution, and RTX 2070 or better GPUs for higher settings at Full HD resolution.
Major The best processor for Hogwarts Legacy in 2022
As for the importance of a processor, it’s pretty straightforward. Your processor dictates how fast your game runs, which in turn affects your performance. For example, a slow processor will make your game stutter and lag – slowing down gameplay.
Hogwarts Legacy is a quite demanding game, so if you want to have a smooth gameplay experience, you’re going to need a powerful laptop. You should look for one with at least an Intel Core i5 processor, or an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU if you don’t want to spend as much money.
So what are my recommendations? To start with, I’d recommend looking for one of these CPUs:
- Ryzen 5 3500U – minimum recommended processor
- i5-10300H – good choice for gamers who care about price point and low power consumption
- i7-11850H – best suited for players who need heavy graphics on high resolutions
- get at least an Intel Core i5 processor, or an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU if you don’t want to spend as much money
- Ryzen 5 3500U is the minimum recommended processor for playing Hogwarts Legacy
- i5-10300H is a good choice for gamers who care about price point and low power consumption
- i7-11850H is best suited for players who need heavy graphics on high resolutions
Major What’s the best memory for Hogwarts Legacy?
Hogwarts Legacy is [not the most demanding game out there](official fortnite system requirements), but you never know what the [future holds](official minecraft system requirements). So, I would always recommend to play it safe and get 16 GB of RAM.
Minimum (8 GB)
There’s one case where I would say 8GB is enough – [if you are playing on a budget](pcgamer list of cheap gaming laptops) and don’t want to upgrade the laptop anytime soon. Or if you have an extra RAM stick laying around and can put it in to double the amount of memory at any time. Otherwise, I’m afraid it’s a no-go.
Recommended (16 GB)
In any other case, get 16GB of RAM for Hogwarts Legacy. That’s plenty for the next few years of gaming and work, without getting into issues with running out of memory or even wanting to upgrade your system.
In conclusion, it’s not difficult to make sure that the laptop has enough RAM for games like Hogwarts Legacy.
Best (32 GB)
I would also recommend getting the most you can afford, even if it’s a bit more than you think you need. There’s no downside to doing so, as the memory is relatively cheap and won’t break your bank. And with 32GB, you’ll be safe for the next few years of gaming and work without upgrading your system.
- 16GB is recommended for Fortnite, but 8GB is fine if you don’t plan on upgrading your laptop anytime soon or have an extra RAM stick laying around
- 16GB is enough for any game in the next few years, so get as much as you can afford (32GB)
Optional requirements for a Hogwarts Legacy laptop
Optional What’s the best storage for Hogwarts Legacy?
Is HDD an option?
HDDs are cheaper than SSDs, but their lower speed will drag down your gaming experience. So let’s skip them altogether and only recommend laptops with SSDs.
Picking an SSD
That’s the easy part. All you need to know is that 256 GB is a good starting point, 512 GB is more than enough for most people, and 1 TB will suffice for those who want to keep all their games on one laptop. There are some nuances of picking the right drive – if you want faster load times or lower power consumption, go with a laptop with an NVMe PCIe SSD.
Hogwarts Legacy is a pretty light game in terms of memory requirements and not taxing your CPU or GPU – so don’t sweat over the details.
I’ll break down our recommendations by size:
- For a budget-conscious customer looking for the bare minimum storage space required for Hogwarts Legacy – go with 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD combo
- For someone who wants to play the game on their computer exclusively but doesn’t need a lot of storage space – go with 512 GB SSD
- buy an SSD if you want to play Hogwarts Legacy on your laptop
- get 256 GB if you’re on a budget, 512 GB if you don’t need a lot of storage space, and 1 TB if you want more than enough space for all your games
10 Best Laptops for Hogwarts Legacy
Pros and cons
- Adequate processor (i5-10500H)
- Superb graphics card (RTX 3060)
- Mediocre memory amount (8GB)
- Ordinary processor (i5-9300H)
- Not the best graphics card (GTX 1650)
Pros and cons
- Fair processor (i7-10750H)
- Superb graphics card (GTX 1660 Ti)
- Weighty (4.8 lbs)
Pros and cons
- Exceptional processor (i5-11400H)
- Decent graphics card (RTX 3050)
- Solid graphics card (RTX 3050 Ti)
- Up to the mark display (15.6 120Hz IPS)
- Unexceptional processor (Ryzen 5 5600H)
- Not the best memory amount (16GB)
- Competent display (15.6 IPS)
- Backlit keyboard
- Substandard processor (i5-11400H)
- Ordinary graphics card (GTX 1650)
Pros and cons
- Solid processor (Ryzen 7 5800H)
- Sufficient graphics card (Radeon RX 6600M)
- Up to scratch processor (i5-11260H)
- Fair display (17.3 144Hz IPS G-Sync)
- Mediocre graphics card (RTX 3050)
Pros and cons
- Splendid processor (i7-11800H)
- Awesome memory amount (64GB)
- Solid graphics card (RTX 3080)
- Very good memory amount (64GB)
- Mediocre processor (Ryzen 7 5800H)
Pros and cons
- Terrific processor (Ryzen 9 5900HS)
- Exceptional graphics card (RTX 3080)
- Run-of-the-mill memory amount (16GB)
Pros and cons
- Splendid processor (Ryzen 9 5900HX)
- Great graphics card (RTX 3080)
Table of Best Laptops for Hogwarts Legacy
|MSI GF65 Thin 10UE||$690|
|HP Pavilion 16 PC||$740|
|GIGABYTE G5 GD||$750|
|ASUS Powerful TUF Dash||$1390|
|MSI Alpha 17 AMD||$1490|
|Acer Predator Helios 300||$2070|
|ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15||$2350|
|ASUS ROG Strix Scar||$3030|
|MSI GE66 Raider||$8850|