Total War: Warhammer III is an excellent addition to the series and forms a great conclusion to the epic Warhammer trilogy. It has intriguing mechanics and gorgeous visuals, and it comes with a great variety of units, factions, and heroes, along with plenty of engaging battles. If you enjoy the Total War franchise and go in for a bit of Warhammer lore, this is an engaging experience with a lot of variety, and is not to be missed.
As usual, I’ll begin with what you need from your laptop to run Total War: Warhammer III at recommended settings and will talk about lesser requirements afterwards (don’t worry if your specs aren’t as great as mine). Then I’ll briefly touch upon three major aspects that determine gaming laptop value for money.
- Warhammer III is an excellent addition to the series and forms a great conclusion to the epic trilogy
- it has intriguing mechanics and gorgeous visuals, and it comes with a great variety of units, factions, and heroes, along with plenty of engaging battles
Requirements for a Total War: Warhammer 3 laptop
Minimum (8 GB)
You can get away with 8GB RAM for Warhammer 3 – but that’s only if you’re on an [uncomfortably tight budget](the total war: warhammer 3 steahttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1142710/Total_War_WARHAMMER_III/m page) and you plan on upgrading to 16GB within your warranty period. But it’s not recommended by any means. It’s not enough for multitasking, nor for any kind of streaming or playing high-end games like Warhammer 3. It might be enough for simpler games like Fortnite or League of Legends, but I wouldn’t go there.
Recommended (16 GB)
If I had to choose between 8GB and 16GB, I’d always go with 16GB. That amount of memory is sufficient for any game in 2019, and if you need more than that – you probably want to invest in something else, such as a processor or graphics card. The latter are much easier to upgrade than RAM. And by the way – I’m considering two graphics cards right now: one 1080 Ti and one 2080 Ti – both with 16 GB of RAM each! Both are stellar options, but the latter would be better suited for Warhammer 3 since it has 6 GB more video memory than 1080 Ti does.
Best (32 GB)
Lastly, there’s always room for optimization – so if you want to buy the best laptop for playing Warhammer 3 in 2022+, I recommend 32GB model with at least 2400MHz DDR frequency and CL14 latency rating. That combination should allow running Total War: Warhammer 3 at its highest settings without issues or lag – no matter how many other applications are open at the same time!
- 8GB RAM is barely enough for Warhammer 3, so I’d go with 16GB instead
- 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti are great graphics cards that I’m considering for my next build (both have 16 GB of RAM)
Major Deciding on a processor
Choosing the best laptop processors for playing Total War: Warhammer 3 boils down to a few variables. First, you’ll need to assess your hardware requirements and budget. And second, you’ll need to decide if the performance increase justifies the cost.
The Total War franchise is a CPU-intensive game. Therefore, you’ll need a strong CPU to maintain a consistent framerate – especially when on large maps with many units. In addition, Total War: Warhammer 3 has been optimized for Intel processors. So, for that reason alone, I recommend going with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 CPU from the latest generation.
And while Ryzen CPUs can also run Total War: Warhammer 3 – it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution. AMD has made some significant strides in recent years and can be a viable option if you have some extra cash on hand and want to spend it on improving FPS in games such as this one.
AMD’s newest Ryzen 9 offers the best balance of price and performance. That said, don’t forget about its weaker sibling, Ryzen 7 which is also great for gaming – but may require tinkering with configuration files.
I hope my recommendations help you choose your ideal processor for playing Total War: Warhammer 3:
- i3-1115G4 – the bare minimum (or even an older i3)
- i5-10300H – mid-range gaming laptop processor; adequate FPS in most games without GPU bottlenecking;
- Ryzen 7 4800H – excellent FPS in most games without GPU bottlenecking;
- AMD Ryzen 9 is the best balance of price and performance; go with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 if you have budget constraints
- AMD Ryzen 7 is also great for gaming – but may require tinkering with configuration files
Major Graphics card
Minimum graphics (under $1000)
Integrated graphics chips hover around 10-25 FPS on the lowest settings. If I had to use industry terms, I’d say that’s “unplayable”. In short, we’ll need to go for dedicated graphics.
The first GPU that can hold its own is GTX 1650. It’s no great shakes as a graphics card, but it manages to reach 45 FPS on medium settings on Full HD. AMD Radeon RX 5600M comes with a slightly better showing and manages to fit into the same price bracket. Nice. If we want to go further, we’ll need to spend a little bit more.
Recommended graphics ($1600)
If I were a doctor and you were in dire need of a GPU to play Total War: Warhammer 3, I’d prescribe you RTX 2060. It’s easy to see why. RTX 3070 and a similarly priced RTX 2070 deliver the golden standard of 60 FPS on the high settings. For an action role-playing game, we couldn’t ask for more.
Best graphics ($2500 and up)
Let’s step into the bee’s knees of gaming, the heavyweights of graphics, and the top dogs of video cards. I’m talking about RTX 2080, RTX 3070, and RTX 3080. In particular, I find RTX 3070 to be the best option as the more expensive cards do not bring much more to the table.
- for $1000 you can get 60 FPS on max settings with RTX 2060, RTX 3070, or RTX 3080
- if you want better graphics, you’ll need to spend $2000+ on RTX 2080, RTX 3080, or both
Optional requirements for a Total War: Warhammer 3 laptop
Hey, I know what you’re thinking. “Gee, why do I need a new laptop? My current one is good enough.” But before you make a decision, let me just say this: Total War: Warhammer 3 will take up 120GB of storage space. It’s not much, but you’ll still need at least 256 GB of space on your hard drive for that and the rest of your games. And that’s where SSDs come in.
Is HDD an option?
It’s the cheapest option by far – and if it’s good enough for your school work and browsing, it should be fine for most of your games too. Just remember that the best HDDs come with 7200RPM and 16MB cache and you might want to check how they stack up against SSDs when looking at reviews. The choice is yours – with one exception: if you’re not looking to play any games on your laptop but only want to use it for school or office work, then go ahead and get an HDD without remorse.
I’m not going to spend time comparing the two options since SSDs are always superior, but we can quickly go over some key facts:
- SSDs use less power
- SSDs boot up faster
- SSDs access data quicker
- HDD requires defragmentation
- HDD wears out over time
- HDD makes more noise when in use
- SSDs are always superior to HDDs for gaming laptops (faster, more durable, less noisy)
- SSDs are more expensive than HDDs, but still worth it if you’re playing more than one game at a time (i.e. you’ll be playing more than one game at a time)
- even if you’re only going to play one game at a time, get an SSD if you want your laptop to last longer and be less noisy while doing so
6 Best Laptops for Total War: Warhammer 3
Pros and cons
- Superb graphics card (RTX 3060)
- Solid display (15.6 144Hz IPS-level)
- Unremarkable processor (i5-10500H)
- Mediocre memory amount (16GB)
Pros and cons
- Terrific processor (Ryzen 7 5800H)
- Up to the mark graphics card (RTX 3050 Ti)
- No IPS Panel (limited viewing angles)
Also take a look at our other reviews:
- Best Laptop for playing Lost Ark
- Best Laptop for Elden Ring – Play With Highest FPS (2022)
- Best Laptop for Evil Dead: The Game in 2022
- Best Laptop for Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
- Best Laptop for Babylons Fall
- Best Laptop for Shadow Warrior 3
Table of Best Laptops for Total War: Warhammer 3
|Dell XPS 9710||$1140|
|Acer Predator Helios 300||$1840|
|Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen||$3650|
|MSI Raider GE66-15||$5910|