While I did research on the best gaming laptops for Mafia III, I did it mostly because I wanted to play it. It’s quite a unique title and one of my favorites. For the purpose of this article, we won’t be focusing on the story and writing. We’re here to discuss the hardware requirements and talk about the best laptops for Mafia 3. That’s why it’s such a big deal that Mafia III supports not only Windows, but also Xbox One, PlayStation 4! I’m all for PC gaming but playing on console is an awesome alternative if you can’t spend thousands on a powerful rig. That’s not what we’re going to talk about, though. We’ll take a look at how well it runs on Windows and whether we can hit 100 FPS with one of the best laptops for Mafia III.
Hopefully, by the end of this article, you’ll have all the information you need to pick your next laptop that can run Mafia III at max settings or get the best bang for your buck.
best laptops for Mafia III – we’ll take a look at how well it runs on Windows and whether we can hit 100 FPS with one of the best laptops for Mafia III
Requirements for a Mafia III laptop
Major The best processor for Mafia III in 2021
When it comes to gaming, the processor is usually the last thing people think about. But when it comes to Mafia III, you need to take CPU performance into account. It has a direct effect on framerate. And for this game, you’ll need a decent CPU.
This game is CPU-intensive. That’s why I recommend an Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7. And ideally, you should look for something at least with Ryzen 3 3250U or Core i7-10510U processors – if not better. And please don’t be fooled by Intel’s integrated graphics – they are barely enough for low settings.
If you’re looking for an excellent CPU choice, I recommend the following processors:
- Ryzen 3 3250U – budget option with respectable power
- Core i7-10510U – solid middle ground for gamers
- Ryzen 5 4600H – beastly power for high refresh rate displays
- you need a decent processor for the best performance in Mafia III
- look for an Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 processor for optimal performance in Mafia III
Minimum (8-16 GB)
First of all, I should mention that you could get away buying an 8GB RAM laptop. Though that’s acceptable in a single situation – you’re on an uncomfortably tight budget, and you could upgrade the 8GB laptop with an extra RAM stick.
Recommended (16 GB)
If you aren’t in this situation – stick with 16 GB. That’s the sweet spot for gaming, work, and everything in-between. I might consider 32 GB to be more future-oriented than 16 GB, but if you don’t particularly care whether you’re ahead of the pack or not – 16 GB is still a considerable amount of memory for most.
- buy a laptop with at least 16GB of RAM
- don’t buy a laptop with 8GB of RAM unless you’re on an uncomfortably tight budget and you can upgrade it yourself
Major Picking a good graphics card
Mafia III is a relatively easy game to run on a budget PC. It’s not too demanding, but it still requires at least an MX450 for the GPU. As for the GPU, I recommend Radeon RX 5600M.
Minimum graphics (under $800)
If you’re willing to make some compromises on Mafia III’s graphics, then I have good news – the minimum GPU requirement is MX450, which is easily available in this price range. And don’t worry about any graphics card! Integrated graphics are all that’s needed.
Recommended graphics (around $1000)
If you’re looking for an upgrade to minimum requirements, you can try out RTX 2060. For most games, this card should be more than enough. And if you want to take your time to save up some money, then it’s not too shabby of a temporary solution. Just make sure that you disable unnecessary graphic settings like shadows and anti-aliasing if Mafia III starts stuttering too much on your screen.
Best graphics ($1500 and up)
The best option would be to spend more on higher end cards like RTX 3070. These GPUs can run Mafia III with stable framerates at high settings with ease on Full HD resolutions.
- Mafia III is not too demanding, but it still requires at least an MX450 for the GPU
- for most games, Radeon RX 5600M should be more than enough for playing Mafia III at medium settings
- the best option would be to spend more on higher end cards like RTX 3070 for playing Mafia III at high settings on Full HD resolutions
Optional requirements for a Mafia III laptop
Optional The best display for playing Mafia III in 2021
I’ve had a long time to think about this, and I’m going to offer up a more general approach. There are a lot of factors to consider when buying a laptop display, and it’s tough to list them all. So instead, I’ll focus on three key metrics – resolution, panel type, and high refresh rate.
A great display can be tailored for any need. The important thing is that you pick the right resolution. For gaming – I recommend Full HD. For professional work – it’s more complicated – but if you need to see everything on your screen at once – Full HD is out of the question. A 4K display might be better for your needs – but only if you have a powerful computer with a great graphics card to support it. And if you’re planning on using your laptop for Mafia III – Full HD will do just fine.
TN panels are standard in budget laptops. They’re bad in most ways, but they’re really good at one thing: fast response time. And that’s all that matters for playing Mafia III, or any other casual game. In the unlikely event that you want a TN panel for any other reason – get IPS or OLED instead (though I still recommend TN for casual gamers).
The best panels these days are IPS and OLED (in no particular order). Both provide better color contrast and viewing angles than TN panels, and they don’t cost much more either. But in my opinion, they come with two drawbacks: not suited for competitive games; not as good as TN panels when it comes to input latency (due to display/frame-cycle timing sync).
What about high refresh rates? If you’re buying an IPS or OLED panel – then sure, they’re worth investing in (unless you like Mafia III specifically because of its visuals). But if you go with TN panels or lower resolutions? I don’t think they matter so much.
- if you’re buying a laptop display, look for Full HD resolution, IPS/OLED panel, and high refresh rate support (for TN panels)
- TN panels are great for competitive games, but not suited for professional work
- IPS/OLED panels are good for gaming, but not suited for competitive games
Optional The right storage
So you’re thinking about getting Mafia III, eh? I hear it’s great. I also hear that there’s no need to install anything – but let’s not be naive. This is a new era, so the hardware is different.
I don’t want to spoil the game for you, but you should know what to expect from laptops with different storage space options.
Minimum requirements are usually good enough for lower settings and smaller maps. 256 GB of storage space will be just enough for you. Of course, if your laptop has an SSD, even less will do the trick.
If you have more money to spend, then go ahead and buy 512 GB of storage space for future-proofing purposes. And if that’s not enough – well, 1 TB will make you happy as a clam in some tight clothes at a school dance! Just make sure your PC supports this option first.
Recommended requirements are usually good enough for decent performance on higher settings and larger maps. You’ll need 512 GB of storage space or more to accommodate Mafia III at recommended settings without any glitches or problems. 512 GB will allow for some breathing room, but it’ll be best to leave some free space for future games too!
- if you’re planning on playing Mafia III on high settings, you’ll need at least 512 GB of storage space
- SSD is highly recommended for better performance and lower load times, but if you don’t have one, 256 GB will do the trick too
- 1 TB of storage space is the sweet spot for Mafia III, but more can be useful if you’re planning on future games too!
5 Best Laptops for Mafia III
Pros and cons
- Competent processor (i7-10750H)
- Superb graphics card (GTX 1660 Ti)
- Heavy (4.8 lbs)
Pros and cons
- Superb processor (Ryzen 7 5800U)
- First-class graphics card (RTX 3050 Ti)
- Substandard memory amount (16GB)
- Decent processor (i7-10750H)
- Fair display (14 IPS Touch)
- Middle-of-the-road graphics card (GTX 1650)
- Mediocre memory amount (16GB)
- Splendid processor (i5-11400H)
- Backlit keyboard
- Average graphics card (GTX 1650)
- Middle-of-the-road memory amount (16GB)
Pros and cons
- Exceptional processor (Ryzen 7 5800H)
- Terrific graphics card (Radeon RX 6600M)
- Bulky (5.1 lbs)
- Massive 5TB SSD
- High refresh rate display (144Hz)
- Ordinary processor (i7-11370H)
- Run-of-the-mill memory amount (16GB)
- Fair processor (i5-11260H)
- Decent display (17.3 144Hz IPS G-Sync)
- Unremarkable graphics card (RTX 3050)
Pros and cons
- Very good processor (i7-11800H)
- Sufficient display (15.6 144Hz IPS G-Sync)
Pros and cons
- Excellent graphics card (RTX 3080)
- Decent display (15.6 165Hz IPS)
- Unexceptional processor (i7-11800H)
Table of Best Laptops for Mafia III
|HP Pavilion 16 PC||$740|
|Acer Swift X SFX14-41G-R1S6||$920|
|MSI Alpha 17 AMD||$1490|
|Acer Predator Helios 300||$2070|